Where is Swansea on the map. Road map of Swansea
Road atlas of British Islands
Large scale map of Swansea
Detailed road map of Swansea city. Free printable roads map of Swansea city with site of interest. Large scale map of Swansea city area, Wales, Great Britain
CULVER HOLE [C4] A narrow cleft in the cliffs near Port-Eynon Point was sealed off long ago by an 18m (60ft) wall of unknown origin which is pierced with window-like openings, resembling a dovecot. At low tide it can be reached from Port-Eynon.
LLANTWIT MAJOR [H2] Britain's first school was founded here by St llltyd some 1500 years ago. The patron saint of Wales, St David, is said to have been a pupil. There are views of the Bristol Channel from the nearby Seawatch Centre, housed in a former coastguard station. To the west is St Donat's Castle, now a school. Nearby are Tressilian Bay, with smugglers' caves, and Nash Point, from where there are fine views.
MARGAM COUNTRY PARK [G4] An 1840s mansion set in extensive grounds on the site of a ruined 12th-century abbey, Margam has a magnificent orangery, now housing exhibitions. Attractions include a vast maze, gardens, woods and parkland. Margam Sands beach is nearby.
MERTHYR MAWR [G3] Thatched stone dwellings surround the green, and there is a medieval Dipping Bridge over the Ogmore - it has large holes in the parapet through which unwilling sheep were pushed into the river to be washed. The ruins of Candleston and Ogmore castles are close by, and upriver are the remains of the fortified Ewenny Priory. The warren or burrows, an area of grassy dunes, stretches west along the Ogmore estuary.
THE MUMBLES [E4] Until the 1950s, a train ride round the bay to Mumbles Head was a day out for Swansea folk. Now part of the old rail line is a promenade to the pier at The Mumbles resort, the gateway to the Gower peninsula.
NEATH [F5] Sited at the gateway to the Vale of Neath, the industrial town became a centre of copper smelting in 1584. By the 18th century furnaces were even set up in the 12th-century abbey ruins. The Welsh Rugby Union first met at the Castle Hotel in 1881.
OYSTERMOUTH [E4] In All Saints churchyard is the grave of Dr Thomas Bowdler; his expurgated editions of Shakespearean plays gave rise to the word 'bowdlerise'. A window in the church depicts one of the earliest railways - a horse-drawn tram of 1800 on the line to The Mumbles. The ruins of Oystermouth Castle overlook the bay.
PORTHCAWL [G3] The former coal port is now one of South Wales's largest seaside resorts, with three sandy bays, a vast pleasure park and a fine golf course. Kenfig Pool and Dunes Nature Reserve, to the northwest, lie above a town buried by sand in medieval times.
PORT TALBOT [F4] Aberavon was the town's name until 1836, when it was renamed after the Talbot family, local landowners. There is good surfing on Aberavon beach, and Afon Lido is one of Wales's largest leisure centres. Port Talbot also has the biggest tidal harbour in Britain, and one of the largest steelworks in Europe. The actor Richard Burton was born at nearby Pontrhydyfen, which is on the way to the scenic Afan Argoed Country Park, where there is a Welsh Miners' Museum.
SWANSEA [E5] See City Routes pp298-299.
TREORCHY [H5] The former mining village is famous for its male voice choir. Visitors can attend their twice-weekly rehearsals. Miners' choirs still flourish in Wales, despite the closure of the mines.
WHITEFORD BURROWS [C5] An area of sand dunes is an extensive nature reserve with golden plovers, redshanks and oystercatchers.
WORMS HEAD [B4] Reached by a promontory battered by waves, the headland has a nature reserve and a cliff arch where the sea spouts through a blowhole. Further up the coast is Burry Holms, an islet with a ruined chapel and Iron Age fort, accessible by foot at low tide. Inland is 13th-century Weobley Castle.
Swansea and the Gower Peninsula